| Highways Department functions under the overall coordination of the Director General. There are eight wings for execution of projects as follows:|
- Construction & Maintenance wing – State fund works
- National Highways wing – Central fund works
- NABARD & Rural Roads wing – NABARD loan assistance works
- Projects wing – Railways Works Programme (fund sharing)
- Metro wing – Chennai Metro Development Programme works
- Tamil Nadu Road Sector Project – World Bank loan assistance works
- Planning, Designs & Investigation Wing
- Quality Assurance & Research Wing
In addition, two companies are executing Special Projects.
- Tamil Nadu Road Development Company
- Tamil Nadu Road Infrastructure Development Corporation
The functions of all the wings are detailed as follows:
|1. OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR GENERAL|
The post of Director General has been created for smooth and efficient functioning of the department and to coordinate the work of all
the eight wings. The Director General is also the head of all the Technical Committees.|
- Overall Planning and Budgeting of Highways Department
- Establishment and Personnel Administration matters in Highways Department
- Monitoring Quality of works executed by the Highways Department
- Monitoring and Managing IT Cell and their Activities relating to epathai systems like Road Maintenance Management System (RMS),
Road Accident Data Management System (RADMS), Geographical Information System (GIS),
Establishment of Project & Financial Management system (P&FMS) and Collection of Data Utilising Advanced Data Collection Equipment
- Any other work entrusted by the Government
|2. CONSTRUCTION & MAINTENANCE WING|
- Maintenance of State Highways, Major District Roads, Other District Roads and bridges.
- Execution of Part – II scheme works.
- Restoration of roads and bridges affected by natural calamities like monsoons, floods and Tsunami.
- Execution of road and bridge works under Comprehensive Road Infrastructure Development Programme.
- Formation of bypasses.
- Implementation of road infrastructure schemes under Public Private Partnership.
- Maintenance of ODR - Sugarcane Roads.
- Construction of ROBs / RUBs.
|3. NABARD & RURAL ROADS WING|
- Execution of bridges and roads with loan assistance from NABARD.
- Construction of Road Over Bridges / Road under Bridges under Railway Works Programme.
|4. PROJECTS WING|
- Road Over and Under Bridges at Railway level crossings under Railway Works Programme.
- Major Bridge works with State funds and NABARD assistance.
- Formation of Ring Roads and Radial Roads.
- Formation of Sugarcane Roads with Sugar Cess Fund
|5. METRO WING|
- Execution of Chennai Metropolitan Development Plan (CMDP) works.
- Road works, major bridge works and bridge works in road junctions under TNUDP-III.
- Construction of ROBs / RUBs in Metro areas.
|6. NATIONAL HIGHWAYS WING|
- National Highways Development comprises plan works and maintenance of roads and bridges on National Highways with the funds of the Government of India.
- Revamped Central Road Fund scheme works.
- Inter State Connectivity Scheme works.
- Economic Importance scheme works.
- Western Ghats Development Programme works
- Hill Area Development Programme works
|7. TAMIL NADU ROAD SECTOR PROJECT WING|
- Road upgradation works with the World Bank assistance.
- Enhanced road maintenance works.
- Undertaking studies for projects to be implemented through Public Private Partnership.
- Strengthening the organisational set-up of Highways Department.
|8. QUALITY ASSURANCE AND RESEARCH WING|
- Research activities relating to roads and bridges.
- 3 tier quality assurance for all works implemented by this department.
- Road safety and traffic improvement works.
|9. PLANNING, DESIGN AND INVESTIGATION WING|
- Carrying out investigation for new road and bridge works.
- Preparation of structural designs, drawings and estimates for bridge works costing Rs.2 Crore and above.
|10. TAMIL NADU ROAD DEVELOPMENT COMPANY (TNRDC)|
- Implementing major PPP projects
- Management of Chennai Outer Ring Road works.
- Undertaking Rajiv Gandhi IT Expressway works and maintaining as toll road
- Improving and maintaining the East Coast Road (Chennai to Puduchery) as toll road
|11. TAMIL NADU ROAD INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
- Development of road and bridge infrastructure required in industrial areas